Thursday, 22 June 2017

The Swords of Dawn - test miniature progressing


Morning all - The Burning Eye here again! Today I'm going to be bringing you an update on the Swords of Dawn (in case you couldn't figure that out from the title).

Over the last couple of days I've been wrestling with grey paint - who knew there could be so many shades 😉? Still, at the third attempt I've found a final tone that I'm happy with - it's a little darker than on my space marine painter image but I think it works nicely.

Without further ado then - here's the pics! Still plenty to work on but here's what I've got so far.

This was attempt 1, using Slaanesh Grey as a base colour and layering Ulthuan Grey over the top.

This was coming out too pale and too purple though, and actually reminded me a little of the Buzz Lightyear marine that did the rounds on the internet a little while back.













Version 2 got the Administratum Grey treatment.

A little darker than Ulthuan, but I still wasn't entirely convinced it fit the bill. Better, but I felt that there was still room for improvement.

I think when you're experimenting with a new scheme like this it's hugely important to keep playing with it until you're properly happy - I've started armies before and not been 100% on the scheme and they just fall by the wayside.

So, I had another go.






Which resulted in grey #3.

Now I'm 100% happy!

Don't get me started on how many layers the purple is going to have, since I'm going to be edge highlighting this up 1 more stage from here too, but I'm really pleased with the balance here between strong colour and neutral elements to set it off.

Next step on the trial road is to see if I want to do a neutral casing to the boltgun or whether I go with the gold and silver of the pic above. At the moment I'm thinking of going neutral, I don't want these guys to be too bling.

The chapter badge also needs a little work - I'm happy with the basic dawn symbol but having seen how much good decals can improve a mini I'm tempted to look at getting some custom ones drawn up. It'd be an indulgence certainly, but one that would really turn up the finished product a few notches.

In the meantime, I've cracked on with getting some of the base colours down on the rest of the first Intercessor Squad.

My first game of 8th (and my first game with the Primaris Marines) is tonight when my club is doing a 750pt random opponent night so I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform on the tabletop, particularly the Inceptors. Unfortunately at that points level it means I can't include either the lieutenants or the ancient in the list, so keeping my Captain close to the Hellblasters is going to be the order of the day I think - it's a compact force but should be pretty tough to take down.

Well that about wraps it up, here's another couple of pics to keep you going till next time!